When people sign up for a Papyrs intranet site they get their own subdomain by default: https://yourcompany.papyrs.com. You can also access your site from a custom domain, like https://intranet.yourcompany.com. This is much nicer (and certainly easier to remember for your coworkers). There was a downside, though: an SSL security certificate is needed to encrypt the connection to the custom domain, and getting one signed could be a complicated process. You would have to download a signing request from us, then purchase an SSL certificate from a 3rd party vendor, then provide the signing request to the certificate authority, and then you would have to send the signed certificate files to us. It worked, but it was just too complicated.
Out with the old; in with the new
We can now issue SSL certificates on behalf of our customers. This means that moving your Papyrs site to your own domain has never never been easier. It’s just a matter of updating the subdomain of your choosing to the Papyrs service (DNS update) and we take care of everything else!
- Decide on a subdomain name you would like to use, for example
https://intranet.yourcompany.com (you need to be owner of this domain).
- Change the DNS settings of your subdomain to point it to the address of the Papyrs servers. You can do this by adding a CNAME record to the DNS zone file. Point the CNAME to custom.papyrs.com.
- Some DNS providers require the . (dot) at the end, others don’t
- Just to be clear: we literally mean custom.papyrs.com here, so don’t replace “custom” with your account name.
If there is an existing A record for your subdomain, remove it so only the CNAME to custom.papyrs.com remains.
- Fill out the form at https://yoursite.papyrs.com/settings/custom-domain/. Your new domain should get activated within 24 hours, and the transition will not involve any downtime.
(Available for Papyrs Business customers and above. For more info see White Label documentation)